Because apparently it is very hard. It is also hard to follow my speech. My hope is that this blog will give people a little bit of insight into how my mind works (very spatially). Enjoy! And comment if you visit, so I know who is leaving love!

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Sickness and Structure

Nose Spray really sucks. This is my new discovery. So do allergies and being sick. Post-nasal drip is not fun as well. And when I open the bottle of Nyquil I start shaking and gagging... taking it is like a form of torture. I have to plug my nose and then the tast fills my mouth... even typing about it is making me gag and make faces.... I really hate nyquil.... but I love that it often just knocks me out.... I need to get some nyquil capsules (altho technically the liquid is better for your throat, i don't care at this point)

Well enough about my disgusting sickness. Which leads to the point of doctors and their diagnoses. So every year I get a cold and am put on cold meds and such. It is right around November when it hits in. Last year, right before Thanksgiving, I got an ear infection and an ulcer on my throat. But anyways, the point here is that I am always diagnosed with a cold. But upon realization today that my problem is allergies, I have to wonder how long that has truly been the problem. I think that I could have had allergies every year, but they just kept treating me for colds, which does not really solve the problem. that sucks. oh and I heard the other day that doctors prescribe their own children less antibiotics than patients. It is partly because there is research that antibiotics are not good if taken too often, because your body will become immune. But also that other parents want a quick solution and often feel that antibiotics are the only way to go. This summer I was prescribed for the same staff infection anti-biotic three times, on the third time my mom did not let me get it, because she didn't want me to become immune, and because it is just not good for me. Which leads us to the problems in the structure of the pediatric system. Why do we put these doctors in power, but then when they tell us to get rest and drink water, demand a quick and "real" solution. So I wonder if they have to take a class on parent pleasing, because I am sure that is a huge component to their job.

Another structural problem I was reading about today is that of health care for the impoverished. See the poor people in third world countries are facing huge epidemics of disease. However they cannot get treatment because they cannot afford it. However, they cannot make money because they cannot get better to get a job. Through this process, the people in power are pushing down those who have no money and keeping them in this powerless state. It is only through the help of modern day heroes that the sick and poor get the treatment they need. I read about a doctor that has a clinic in Africa, I think, that he opened up. There he is helping victims of aids and malaria, as well as other disease victims. He has a system set up where they are given treatment, and then moeny is given to a caretaker (usually a friend) who will administer the drugs and make sure they are getting what they need. They are also given food to feed a family of five, so that there are not situations where the patient is eating a lot and the rest of the family is starving. I think this is such an awesome thing. i would love to go do this somewhere. Oh and the doctor treats the patients the same, if not better than, his patients back in the states. He now switches between the two areas.

Okay, I cannot write any more. But I just wanted to get out some thoughts... look at how I have become a soc major... "the problem is structural, put in place by our society" haha I love it!

No comments: