Because apparently it is very hard. It is also hard to follow my speech. My hope is that this blog will give people a little bit of insight into how my mind works (very spatially). Enjoy! And comment if you visit, so I know who is leaving love!

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

lemonade

Remember those days of selling lemonade in your front yard? Emliy and Davis and I (and sometimes neighborhood friends) can look back fondly on those days. With a lemon tree in the front yard, we always knew we could make a quick buck by selling some lemonade. One of my favorite memories is when the firefighters stopped by, they had just put out a fire and were thirsty, so they stopped by our stand. We gave them big servings with lots of ice, because we were in awe that a real fire truck had stopped in front of OUR house for lemonade. One of our neighbors ran down the street with freshly made jam (we are talking so fresh she had to wear oven mitts to carry it down the street) for them. They gave us a five as they left and we were shocked. That day of childhood wonder will always remain dear to me.

I also remember using 10 or 12 ounce paper cups and selling the lemonade in them for about 25 cents. Apparently those days are long gone. I saw some girls, about twelve years old, selling "crystal light and soda" outside their house the other day. I pulled over to get some and realized they were charging a dollar. Seriously? A whole dollar? It was good if we made a few of those in a day. But by pulling over I had committed and did not want to leave without buying some. So I got a up of Crystal Light. When they handed me the cup I was shocked, there was about 6 ounces in that little plastic cup. I swallowed it in a matter of seconds. At least it was cold.

On another subject. I was looking through Magnum's photos that changed the world and came across a feature on Taiwanese brides. What is interesting about these brides is that they have these things called wedding albums. They will take hundreds of pictures in multiple wedding dresses, with their fiances, months before the wedding. They then create and album for the house and have great pictures to show off at the wedding. But the biggest thing is a HUGE picture above the couples' marriage bed. These photos become and obsession and parents will spend thousands so that their daughter will have the best album. In this collection of photos, I found this intersting picture. Which showcases another aspect of Taiwanese weddings, the city will put on group weddings so multiple people can get married at once. Weird, right? Well they spent all of their money on pictures, so they cannot pay for a wedding! haha But this picture is a bride who is seasick on her group wedding aboard a boat. How sad. I am not sure who took the picture, but it check out Magnum photos. Here is the one I liked:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So first of all, how can you post a blog at 9:48 AM on a workday? Second, I'm so glad you remember lemonade sales. I remember the day of the firefighters too. And if I were as quick-thinking as Auntie Katie, I'd have a picture of it!