Because apparently it is very hard. It is also hard to follow my speech. My hope is that this blog will give people a little bit of insight into how my mind works (very spatially). Enjoy! And comment if you visit, so I know who is leaving love!

Monday, June 18, 2007

My baklava kicks baklabutt...

That's right. Today was my first successful step into the art of Greek cuisine. Well second, if you count the amazing Greek salad that I made last night, with homemade red wine vinegarette! woo! After watching Giada in Paradise: Santorini on the Food Network, I decided that I wanted to remember my days in Greece by the food. So I found some recipes for baklava (actually I combined the one on the show with a few others to create my own), fried cheese (my absolute FAVORITE Greek food of all time, well maybe next to Eva's tsatziki), Greek Salad, Feta and Spinach puffs (the baklava sparked an interest in phyllo dough inspired food), and Tsatziki to finish it off. The baklava took forever (about 30 minutes to chop the toasted nuts alone) and I was not sure if I would get it right, because I had made my own recipe. Which is pretty adventurous for a first time with a dish. But it came out of the oven golden brown (I used my brain and tented foil over it until the last 10 minutes) and crispy. I poured the sugary sweet and lemony sauce over it and let it set for about 20 minutes. This whole process was about 2 hours. haha The girls in my bible study ate it and said it was great! I served it with some French Vanilla ice cream. I feel as though I have redeemed my kitchen skills. While I may not be able to cook chicken, I am able to make some great baklava. Oh and an awesome Greek salad. And the chicken salad with avocado that I had for dinner was great. The nice thing about being unmarried is the ability to have a salad and call it dinner. When I have a husband, a salad will not suffice. There will need to be red meat and potatoes. haha not really, but more than just a salad, even if it is very filling. Guys have it in their minds that salad is not a meal.

On other subjects, I saw pirates 3 and was quite dissappointed. I cannot count the times that I turned to Matt during the movie and made the "what the heck is going on" face. And the end, which apparently most women do not like was fine. In fact I liked it because it ended story lines, at least for Will and Elizabeth. No idea what it will do for Captain Barbosa and Jack though. And for those who stayed after credits... does this mean the next movie happens 10 years later? Or are they going to pretend that did not happen? Because I know this is not the end of the series. Sadly. Thoughts?

No comments: